-->

Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Birthday Falls Before Christmas

Written: Dec 14, 2007

To be born on the day before Christmas day is lucky?? Growing up, my mom would always throw out a party for me as well as to have something for "Noche Buena" for everyone. Remembering those times, living now in the US, I miss home. It's very different here. Though I am happy that I found my man and relocated, its not the same when my family is around. I would say celebrating without them is not totally complete.

My first Christmas here last 2005, I was fortunate that my hubby's friends throw out a party for me. I didn't know they would spare their time to surprise me with food, cake and gifts. That small get together at their place was absolutely appreciated. Perhaps if it didn't happen, I could be sad and wanting to get back home. The 2nd Christmas, within the year. I met couple of friends online. Get some few acquaintances and establish friendship. I throw out a small party for new found friends and it was great. Though there were few that I no longer friends with but some remained.

The disadvantage of celebrating birthday and Christmas eve altogether is that I can only receive one gift for the year. I had hope I was born earlier or after so I could have the same feeling like most everyone else who can receives 2 major gifts annually. Other times, not so many people would attend my party because everyone is preparing for their own. At work, since the 24th is considered holiday, the benefits of being double paid can only happen once and my birthday bonus is out. Geezz! That's absolutely not lucky.

With this, I can reflect that money or material things will not certainly be happening. But any other source like having a husband who's always there for me, great friends who is very supportive of me and family who loves me can make all other things perished. Its the value of having people around you and not by what you received physically.

No comments: