-->

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Improved Home Safety

Guest post from my buddy Jerry Tames.

Since moving to my current home in the past five years, I have taken a few steps to improve the safety of my home. I have strengthened several areas along with contacting ADT in Detroitto get a home alarm system. First I removed the current front door, and installed a steel one in its place. It also has a deadbolt lock. High upper windows still allow me to see who is at the front door.

I purchased an inexpensive camera for my backyard and garage door area. The camera attaches wirelessly to my computer, and I have the ability to record action as well. For extra security, have a Home Security Alarm system installed.

I keep my car parked in the garage all the time, so people cannot easily tell if I am home or not. I installed curtains over the garage windows, to block the view of my car. Parking in the garage also decreases vandalism. At both the front and back doors, I have motion sensor lights to cover the area of any approaching person or vehicle, and they are left on all the time. They are so sensitive, they even pick up the neighborhood animals.

While our neighborhood doesn't have an organized neighborhood watch, we do watch over each other's homes while someone is away. I also have friends check my house during my vacations.

No comments: